Below is a list of responses you might receive and ways to address them:
- Interested, want to know more
- Keep it short, provide a bit of info and aim to get them on a call
- Not interested
- Ask for feedback, ask if they know anyone who might be interested
- Not my industry
- Ask if there’s anyone they can connect you with
- What exactly are you looking for? / Why did you choose to reach out to me?
- I’m reaching out to see if you would be interested in being partners during my financial round either as a mentor or as an investor. If not, maybe someone in your network would be interested?
You should see value in every connection. There are 3 key things to remember:
- Focus on relationship building
- Ask for referrals
- Ask for feedback
However, What to do if the lead doesn’t seem qualified enough for you:
- Politely walk away: “Someone from my team reached out on my behalf, I’d love to hear your feedback but if it doesn’t seem like a good fit for both of us I’m happy to stay connected for the future.”